Other Legal Services
You can apply for legal help by calling
(731) 423-0616, extension 250 or (800) 372-8346, extension 250.
Do you have a housing problem? Use extension 200.
If you need an accommodation for a disability, please let us know when you make your application for services.
Legal Services for People with Low Income
We help people with low income with certain legal problems to. Legal help is also available for some persons who are homeless or do not have a regular, adequate night-time residence. The legal problems must be in civil or administrative courts. We help people with consumer problems, such as repossessions, garnishments, creditor harassment, contract and warrant issues. We provide education and legal assistance to parents who have children with special education needs who experience issues in their special education instruction in school. We provide legal advice and representation in obtaining SNAP, unemployment benefits, SSI or Social Security Disability Insurance.
For other types of case, we rely on volunteer attorneys. Those volunteers handle some of the cases that we would not be able to take without their help.
In SSI and Social Security cases, we only help those who cannot get representation from a private attorney. Applicants who need help with SSI or Social Security disability appeals will need to contact two private attorneys for help first. If those attorneys do not accept the case, then we are able to review an application to see if we can help.
We also have special projects that can provide limited help for people regardless of income.
Domestic Violence Project
- Works to stop domestic violence by providing legal needs assessments, community education, and legal representation in certain types of civil cases arising as a result of domestic violence.
- West Tennessee Legal Services is an approved HUD housing counseling agency. We provide advice on buying a home, renting, defaults, foreclosures, and credit issues.
Mortgage Default and Foreclosure Counseling
- West Tennessee provides help to homeowners in danger of foreclosure, or facing foreclosure.
Fair Housing Project
- This project helps renters and homeowners who feel that they have suffered from discrimination in housing. We help homeowners and people who want to buy a home when they think they have suffered from discrimination in financing, purchasing or insuring a home.
Victim Assistance and Advocacy Project
– This project helps victims of violent crime. We help victims understand and use their rights in the criminal justice process. We are the victim’s representative in matters involving the District Attorney and law enforcement. We help victims use the community resources that will improve safety and help victims stabilize their lives.
Senior Citizens Law Project
- Provides legal advice and limited representation for clients age 60 and older. The Project focuses on the needs of those who have the greatest need. This project focuses on public benefits, health issues, and assistance to prevent or address consumer problems, elder abuse and exploitation.
Cases we do not take:
We do not represent people who have been charged with a crime.
We do not currently represent people who have these problems:
• Child support
• Dependency & neglect
• Termination of parental rights
• Child visitation
• Non-Domestic violence divorce
• Worker compensation
• Personal injury
• Employment discrimination
• Wrongful termination
• Civil rights
• Contested adoptions
• Probate of Estates
• Land transfers/real estate closings
• Juvenile delinquency/truancy
• Emancipation of a minor child
• Contested conservatorships
• Contested guardianships