SNAP: General

What is SNAP?

SNAP stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as food stamps. SNAP enables low income individuals to purchase healthy food for their family. This benefit helps eligible families to keep more of their available income for living expenses without having to sacrifice providing healthy meals for themselves or/and their family.

Can I get SNAP benefits?

If you meet the income guidelines, you may be able to get SNAP benefits. To determine if your income meets the guidelines, apply for benefits by completing an application. The application form can be found at your local DHS office or you can apply online at: If you get an application at the DHS office, be sure to make an appointment for an interview with a SNAP worker.

What do I bring to the interview?

You should bring papers with you that prove

1. Your Identity (such as driver’s license, passport, photo student i.d., birth certificate, green card, permanent resident card, voter’s registration card)

2. Where you live (such as lease agreement or mortgage, utility or phone bill with your name on it). NOTE: if you don’t have a fixed address, you can still qualify for SNAP.

3. Income (such as a check stub, employer statement a court order for child support, or an award letter for SSI, Social Security, Unemployment or other benefits).

4. Shelter Costs (such as rent receipts, lease agreements, mortgage payments, homeowners insurance, property tax).

5. Medical Costs (such as billing statements, itemized Rx receipts, repayment agreement with medical provider).

6. Cost of Utilities (such as water/electric/gas bill)

Your SNAP eligibility counselor will help you if you are having problems getting this proof, and may ask for other information.

What happens next?

Your SNAP worker will review your application and tell you if you qualify for SNAP benefits and how much you will receive each month. Your benefits will come on a plastic card that looks similar to a credit card.

What can I buy with my SNAP benefits?

Use your benefit card to buy healthy food at grocery stores that accept EBT cards. Most grocery stores do. You may also use your benefit card to purchase prepared meals at soup kitchens or other communal dining facilities. If you are a senior, you may be able to use your benefits for Senior Food Boxes. You can also use SNAP Benefits to purchase seeds to grow your own food.

What if I don't have food to eat right now?

Sometimes, in emergency cases, you can get SNAP Benefits within 7 days. This is called “Expedited Service.” In many cases, a homeless person meets the requirements for expedited service. (You must have less than $150 in monthly gross income, and not more than $100 in liquid resources such as cash.) If your income or resources are too high for the expedited service, you will get benefits within 30 days.

¿Qué es SNAP?

SNAP signifi ca Programa de Asistencia de Nutrición Suplementaria, anteriormente conocido como cupones de alimentos. SNAP permite a las personas de bajos ingresos comprar alimentos saludables para su familia. Este benefi cio ayuda a las familias elegibles a mantener una mayor parte de sus ingresos disponibles para gastos de subsistencia sin tener que sacrifi carse para proporcionar. Para más información, llame 1-866311-4287 o ir a tn/human-services/documents/Intake_application__ statement_of_understanding_Spanish.pdf

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal and, where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/ or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr., or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities and wish to file either an EEO or program complaint please contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish). Persons with disabilities who wish to fi le a program complaint, please see information above on how to contact us by mail directly or by email. If you require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) please contact USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

El Departamento de agricultura de Estados Unidos (USDA) prohíbe la discriminación contra sus clientes, empleados y solicitantes de empleo en las bases de raza, color, origen nacional, edad, discapacidad, sexo, género identidad, religión, represalia y, donde creencias aplicables, políticas, estado civil, estado familiar o parental, orientación sexual, o la totalidad o parte del ingreso de un individuo se deriva de cualquier programa de asistencia pública, o la información genética en el empleo o en cualquier programa o actividad protegida realizan o fi nanciado por el Departamento. (No todos prohibidos bases se aplicarán a todos los programas o actividades de empleo).

Si desea presentar una queja del programa de derechos civiles de la discriminación, completar el formulario de quejas de discriminación de programa de USDA, encontrar en línea en cust.html de presentación, o en cualquier ofi cina del USDA, o llamada (866) 632-9992 a la solicitud. También puede escribir una carta que contenga toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Envíenos su formulario de reclamación completado o carta por correo al Departamento de agricultura de Estados Unidos, Director, Offi ce of Adjudication, 1400 independencia Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, por fax (202) 690-7442 o por correo electrónico a

Personas sordas son con problemas de audición o tienen discapacidades del habla y desea presentar querella de EEO o programa por favor póngase en contacto con el USDA a través del servicio de retransmisión Federal al (800) 877-8339 o (800) 845-6136 (en Español). Las personas con discapacidad que deseen presentar una queja del programa, consulte información sobre cómo contactar con nosotros por correo directamente o por correo electrónico. Si requiere de medios alternativos de comunicación para información sobre el programa (por ejemplo, Braille, letra grande, audio, etc.) Póngase en contacto con el Centro TARGET de USDA en (202) 720-2600 (voz y TDD).

USDA es un provedor de igualdad de oportunidades y el empleador.

For more information or to apply for assistance:

West Tennessee Legal Services

Toll Free: 1-800-372-8346 ext. 1250

Fax: 731-423-2600


To download a copy of this brochure, please click here.