Victims of Domestic Violence Can Receive SNAP

Did you get SNAP Benefits before you went to the shelter?

  1. You can apply for SNAP Benefits for yourself and your children on your own. DHS will look at only your income, the expenses you are responsible for, and your resources, in deciding whether you can get SNAP Benefits. The resources you owned together with someone in your former household will not count. Even if you don’t cook your own meals, you may be able to get SNAP Benefits.
  2. Normally, people cannot get SNAP Benefits in more than one county in any month. This rule does not apply to women and children who have left a household because of abuse. If your home is in one county but the shelter is in another, you may still get SNAP Benefits.
  3. If approved, you can get an extra allotment of SNAP Benefits. You can get this extra allotment only once a month—no matter the number of times you and your children return home but are forced to return to a shelter. DHS may reduce the amount that your former household gets since fewer people live there now.

Expedited Service...SNAP Benefits in 7 days

Certain very needy households may receive SNAP Benefits within 7 days after they apply. If you are not eligible for the 7 day service, the DHS worker will have 30 days to interview you, see if you are eligible, and if so, send you a SNAP Benefit security card to help buy your food.

You must tell DHS of any changes in your situation.

If you did not get SNAP Benefits before you went to the shelter...

You can apply now on your own. Your eligibility will depend only on your income, the expenses you are responsible for now, and your resources. Resources, such as a car, bank account, or savings account you might have owned together with someone in your former household will not count.

If approved, you can get one allotment per month— no matter the number of times you and your children return home but are forced to return to a shelter.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal and, where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/ or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr., or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities and wish to file either an EEO or program complaint please contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish). Persons with disabilities who wish to fi le a program complaint, please see information above on how to contact us by mail directly or by email. If you require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) please contact USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

El Departamento de agricultura de Estados Unidos (USDA) prohíbe la discriminación contra sus clientes, empleados y solicitantes de empleo en las bases de raza, color, origen nacional, edad, discapacidad, sexo, género identidad, religión, represalia y, donde creencias aplicables, políticas, estado civil, estado familiar o parental, orientación sexual, o la totalidad o parte del ingreso de un individuo se deriva de cualquier programa de asistencia pública, o la información genética en el empleo o en cualquier programa o actividad protegida realizan o fi nanciado por el Departamento. (No todos prohibidos bases se aplicarán a todos los programas o actividades de empleo).

Si desea presentar una queja del programa de derechos civiles de la discriminación, completar el formulario de quejas de discriminación de programa de USDA, encontrar en línea en cust.html de presentación, o en cualquier ofi cina del USDA, o llamada (866) 632-9992 a la solicitud. También puede escribir una carta que contenga toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Envíenos su formulario de reclamación completado o carta por correo al Departamento de agricultura de Estados Unidos, Director, Offi ce of Adjudication, 1400 independencia Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, por fax (202) 690-7442 o por correo electrónico a

Personas sordas son con problemas de audición o tienen discapacidades del habla y desea presentar querella de EEO o programa por favor póngase en contacto con el USDA a través del servicio de retransmisión Federal al (800) 877-8339 o (800) 845-6136 (en Español). Las personas con discapacidad que deseen presentar una queja del programa, consulte información sobre cómo contactar con nosotros por correo directamente o por correo electrónico. Si requiere de medios alternativos de comunicación para información sobre el programa (por ejemplo, Braille, letra grande, audio, etc.) Póngase en contacto con el Centro TARGET de USDA en (202) 720-2600 (voz y TDD).

USDA es un provedor de igualdad de oportunidades y el empleador.

For more information or to apply for assistance:

West Tennessee Legal Services

Toll Free: 1-800-372-8346 ext. 1250

Fax: 731-423-2600


To download a copy of this brochure, please click here.